Borno Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum alongside other Governors of the northeast last night released a 14-point communique after their one day meeting in Gombe.
The communique was read by host governor of Gombe state, Inuwa Mohammed Yahaya after the Governors held closed door meetings which lasted hours.
The communique has the following points:
- They resolved to support all initiatives that would ensure the success of the Mambila Hydro-power Project for improved productivity I the sub-region and the country as a whole.
- They resolved to look into the possibility of regional power generation ad to examine the ownership of electricity of electricity distribution companies.
- They discussed extensively with Lafarge Holcim, the owners of Ashaka Cement Company, on the need to address the road infrastructural deficit by taking advantage of the Executive Order 7 of the Federal Government of Nigeria.
- It agreed to examine the agricultural potentials of the region and to conduct baseline studies with a view to providing a robust agricultural value chain in order to address food security, both in the region and the country at large.
- The forum decried the deplorable condition of the Lake Chad Basin and call on the Federal Government to come out with a comprehensive Water Resource Management Plan, that will fast track the process of water transfer from the Congo River, while committing to collaborating o the Desilting of the basin and the distributaries as part of the activation process.
- The forum agreed to examine the agricultural potentials of the region and to conduct baseline studies with a view to providing a robust agricultural value chain in order to address food security, both in the region and the country at large.
- The forum resolved to key into the environmental initiatives of the Federal Government of Nigeria, including the Great Green Wall and other aforestation programmes.
- The forum commended the Federal Government of Nigeria on the ongoing oil exploration and thanked the National Assembly ad Nigerians at large for the renewed interest of Hydro-Carbon in the North East Sub-region.
- The forum agreed to establish a technical working committee to implement all the actions they agreed upon.
- They also agreed to meet quarterly, with the next meeting scheduled for Borno State in mid April, so as to cover the lost gap
- The forum resolved to support local content initiatives, because it is key to the national development.
- The forum noted with satisfaction the formation of Northeast Development Commission and thanked Mr. President, the Assembly, and all Nigerians for their humanitarian support for the region. The forum is committed to providing all the necessary support to the commission with a view to achieving its objectives.
- The forum directed all the Attorney Generals of the Northeast state to meet with the security agents and possibility of enhancing security in the sub region within the ambits of the law.
- The forum demands that all projects that have to be implemented by the NEDC will be delivered in a demand-driven approach that takes into consideration our needs and priorities.